Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Utada Hikaru

(Michael)


Photo taken from Utada Hikaru's official site: http://www.utadahikaru.jp/


Considered "the most influential artist of the decade" by The Japan Times, Utada Hikaru has led a long and successful career at the young age of 31. Also known by her stage name Utada, she released her first album, "First Love," in 1999 where the album eventually became the top selling album in Oricon history (one of the top authorities on music charts in Japan, similar to Billboards in the US). Throughout her career, Utada has released a total of 5 Japanese albums and 3 English albums, estimated more than 52 million records sold worldwide.



In America, many know Utada Hikaru for her song contributions to the Kingdom Hearts series: "Simple and Clean," the theme song for Kingdom Hearts and "Sanctuary," the theme song for Kingdom Hearts 2. Growing up as a young Japanese American, I couldn't help but be entranced by games like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. I clearly remember playing the opening songs over and over again until my parents were annoyed with it. Utada Hikaru was my "gateway drug" into J-pop as I'm sure it was for many others. I started listening to her other songs in Japanese; I didn't understand a thing she was saying but it didn't stop me from enjoying it. i'm not really sure myself, but I 100% prefer the Japanese versions of all of her songs (and everything else). It feels much more natural and... just sounds better. With that I will post the Japanese versions of each; the Japanese version of "Simple and Clean" is Hikari, while the Japanese version of "Sanctuary" is "Passion."



Utada has been in the spotlight for an extremely long time, I compare her to a more successful and less crazy Britany Spears, and her personal life has definitely been affected. Utada married photographer and film director Kiriya Kazuaki in 2002, but reportedly separated due to her extremely busy schedule. For 15 years, Utada has captured the hearts of fans around the world (including mine) but, deservingly so, has taken a hiatus to get remarried. Her last active presence in the music world was the DVD release of her tour footage "Utada: In the Flesh 2010." I have watched the DVD countless of times and it doesn't even surprise me how good her live singing voice is. 

This short blog is no where near enough to encapsulate the brilliance of Utada Hikaru. She is a classic, a legend, an icon. I leave you now with her last single: "Goodbye Happiness." 



No comments:

Post a Comment